Patrick Kavanagh Poetry Awards
Yesterday Tania Stokes from Third Form was presented with her third prize in the Junior section of the annual national Patrick Kavanagh Poetry Award. Her poem, Metaphorest, is below. Pictured, Tania and the other winners with the poet and adjudicator Noel Monaghan.
'Metaphorest' by Tania Stokes
The springtime garden was in bloom,
Pansies and cosmos, tulips and roses,
Ivy clambering up the trellis.
Purples, pinks and whites and yellows
Surrounded me, as I sat on the deck.
The sunlight filtered through the eucalyptus
And I used to go to far-off places;
I could sometimes hear the sea.
One day, you floated here on the breeze,
Planting yourself into my life.
The garden was never quite the same
Once you began to spread,
Your brambles tangling, choking the competition.
Shadows fell over the house,
As you rose up to dominate it all,
Holding me in your thorny grasp.
You had taken over completely.
The wind changed, come Autumn
When you blossomed into something richer.
You finally brought forth your sweetness,
As ripe blackberries sprung up everywhere.
Each one was a memory full of flavour,
And as we shared them, I knew
That you had taken root in my heart.
More Academic News
- 17.05.2017 Victorious Cansat Team Prepare for Europe
- 11.05.2017 Form Prizes 2016-17
- 09.05.2017 Transition Year Academic Prize 2017
- 23.03.2017 CanSat project
- 09.03.2017 Proverbs in Irish
- 06.03.2017 Vacancies for Teachers
- 14.12.2016 TY History
- 20.09.2016 Junior Certificate results
- 13.09.2016 Leaving Certificate Class of 2016
- 17.08.2016 Leaving Certificate results 2016